RepresentUs is hiring one or more individuals to serve as legislative managers on our state team. This is a full-time position, with an initial focus on passing vote by mail expansion via state legislatures in multiple states throughout the country. The Manager will focus on a portfolio of 3 to 5 state lobbying efforts to advance priority legislation, while working with contract lobbyists and coalition partners in each state.
The ideal candidate has experience working in or with legislative bodies (state or federal) and experience working with a team to advance legislation and pass bills into law. An understanding of existing vote by mail laws throughout the country is highly desirable. A Juris Doctorate degree is a plus. Passion for RepresentUs’ mission to make America work for everyone, not just the powerful and well-connected, is essential. Commitment to working beyond partisanship is required, and past experience working with bipartisan or cross-partisan coalitions is preferred.
The Manager is responsible for:
– Assisting in recruitment and supervision of in-state lobbyists;
– Guiding the movement of relevant legislation in target states, including soliciting regular updates from contract lobbyists; developing and proposing next steps in moving legislation; and executing the next steps in each state;
– Working with the team’s counsel, research analysts, and others to identify legislative timelines, procedures, bill path, and any other relevant protocols or procedures to allow the team to successfully lobby each targeted state legislature;
– Drafting materials and reports for RepresentUs staff, as well as external audiences;
Monitoring movement of relevant legislation in non-target states and flagging issues for the broader team;
– Participating in coalitions with state partner organizations and allies to advance shared objectives; and
– Maintaining the schedule, relevant notes, and record of activities within each state.
Skills and Experience
– State Legislative Manager: 2 to 4 years of experience or equivalent education; Senior State Legislative Manager: minimum 5 years of experience or equivalent education.
Experience working in or with legislative bodies (state or federal).
– Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, meeting frequent deadlines. Detail oriented with an excellent work ethic.
– Goal-oriented with an ability to keep an eye on the big picture while executing the day-to-day work.
– Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written.
– Demonstrated experience managing partnerships and relationships at the state and local level, especially those with elected officials, lobbyists, and other stakeholders.
– Ability to travel on behalf of the organization as needed.
– This is a remote position and candidates must have consistent access to reliable internet and phone.
Compensation and Benefits
We are committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health (Harvard Pilgrim HMO or UnitedHealthcare PPO network) and dental insurance (Delta Dental), both with family/spouse/domestic partner options, retirement benefits, a health reimbursement account, a dependent care account, disability insurance, a wellness benefit, a $1,500 annual professional development stipend, and four weeks paid vacation, plus personal and sick time.
The annual salary range for the State Legislative Manager is $45,000-$65,000, dependent on location and experience. The annual salary range for the Senior State Legislative Manager is $70,000-$100,000, dependent on location and experience.
Both positions are permanently remote.
Please provide a resume and cover letter. No phone calls please.
RepresentUs is the nation’s leading right-left anti-corruption organization. We bring together conservatives, progressives, and everyone in between to secure crucial victories that fix America’s broken political system.
RepresentUs is a carefully curated mix of seasoned political campaigners, policy wonks, advertising experts, designers, and engineers. We’re not a startup, but we’ve got startup DNA: we’re nimble, constantly learning and iterating, and we push ourselves to push the envelope—to ignore “industry standards” and set a new standard.
We are an inclusive organization that welcomes and celebrates perspectives from all races and ethnicities, genders and identities, political and ideological affiliations, and experiences. We want everyone to feel empowered to bring their authentic selves to work.
We believe our political system should reflect the varied voices of our nation, and so should our team. That’s why we’re an Equal Opportunity Employer; people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Go To Source